Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

iPhone 4 (5.1) Untethered Jailbreak Might be Close for the Public

SOURCE: Cult of Mac

iOS Hacker Pod2g Gets iOS 5.1 Untethered Jailbreak Running On His iPhone 4

Alex Heath

(2:03 pm PDT, May 03)

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  19.2 KB

Good news for hopeful iOS 5.1 jailbreakers, infamous iOS hacker and Chronic Team member ‘pod2g’ just tweeted that he has his iPhone 4 running an untethered jailbreak on iOS 5.1. For those who don’t know, the difference between a tethered and untethered jailbreak is huge; the former means you have to re-jailbreak every time the device reboots while the latter means you’re jailbroken until you update to a new version of iOS.

There’s still a lot of work to be done on the untethered iOS 5.1 jailbreak for iPhone 4S owners, but an untether for iPhone 4 and iPad 2 users looks to be on the distant horizon. The iPhone 4S runs on a faster A5, making it a totally different nut to crack for jailbreak hackers.

Creating a jailbreak for mass distribution takes a lot of time and tedious work. New vulnerabilities in iOS have to be found and exploits have to be packaged together and tested rigorously. A poll was conducted on pod2g’s blog asking the community whether the hackers should release a jailbreak for iOS 5.1 or wait for the iOS 6 beta later this summer. The majority voted for releasing the untethered 5.1 jailbreak as soon as possible.

Once a jailbreak is released, Apple patches the exploits and they’re usually unusable for future jailbreaks. It’s getting harder and harder to find exploits in iOS, so hackers are starting to be more judicious about burning their exploits. You know what they say, “waste not, want not.”

Original source: pod2g

What does this mean for Cricket users? Well if you're on the latest iOS software, you will be able to enjoy talk, text, MMS, and Internet without having to reboot your phone while it's connected to your computer. This is of course if you're flashing it correctly...

We will have to wait for the public release though...

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 05-04-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Recognized Dev |Łèĝıť.|

Quote Originally Posted by nickwrgggdd2012 View Post
    Have you personally tried this recently? I thought this doesn't work anymore since that's what it says in Cydia.

Sent from my cricket iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I get stuck at the error 11 that a lot of people get stuck on. Then iFaith says an unknown iOS version detected and fails.

I never had luck with TinyUmbrella saving SHSH in general. Used iFaith a couple of times...
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Thread Information