Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Jailbreak the iPhone 4 on 5.1 (Tethered) for Flashing to Cricket Wireless

At the current time there is no untethered jailbreak method for the iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1. I did something really bad on 5.0.1. I installed Spire + rebooted. Installing it is one of the steps to getting Siri to work. At that point it froze on the Apple logo. For hours I tried to do everything to save the phone and preserve that OS version with no luck. After hours and hours I was forced to upgrade to 5.1. Keep in mind that I have only had an iPhone since Friday.

Since the phone was flashed when it was on 5.0.1, after the update talk, text, and Internet still worked. The only thing that was lost was MMS. Perhaps if the phone was backed up somewhere in between getting MMS to work and the update, only the Comm Center patch would have to be installed again (which requires jailbreaking). I might never know. DFS' CDMA Tool recognizes the ESN of your iPhone so don't worry about not being able to access the device again. Even if you want to change the number in the future, that is still an option which doesn't require that you dish out anymore dinero. Of course after the update, you will have to re jailbreak the device, install

At the moment, I am not having much luck with SemiTether. It comes up and says that a reboot is safe, however the phone will stay stuck at the Apple logo unless I boot with Redsn0w.

Oh while you're at it, I'd fetch SHSH blobs to preserve for downgrading your OS in the future.

NOTES:

• White Apple - If you screen keeps on booting to this when you're trying to boot tethered, just push the bottom button until the Apple goes away + 2 seconds. Then let go. Give it a second and it should be in DFU mode.
    • Failures with App - Right click the exe file > properties > grant it admin privileges and use Windows XP compatibility mode.

SOURCE:
    Jailbreak 5.1 Semi Untethered On iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Using Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 | Redmond Pie

iOS 5.1 For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch (A4 Devices) Can Now Be Jailbroken Using Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 [How-To Tutorial]

By
    Ben Reid

| March 8th, 2012

The iPhone Dev-Team Ė reliably as per usual Ė have updated its Redsn0w jailbreak tool, allowing those using the latest iOS 5.1 to set their devices free. It works for all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices except, of course, the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2

Additionally, as you may already be aware, the jailbreak is tethered, meaning you will need to connect your device to a computer to boot tethered each time it is switched off for whatever reason. The ĎSemiTetherí patch eases the tethered scenario by allowing devices to boot without connecting to a PC or Mac, although features are extremely limited, thus it will have to be booted tethered in order to function at optimum level once more.

Of course, itís not as exciting as the fully-untethered jailbreak with all the bells and whistles; but we reckon that itís better than no jailbreak at all!

As usual, weíve got the tutorial to help you in your quest to jailbreak your iOS 5.1 device.

NOTE:

• As already mentioned, this jailbreak does not work on the iPad 2 or iPhone 4S.
    • If you unlock with GEVEY or Ultrasn0w, DO NOT update to the stock iOS 5.1 firmware. Skip to the latter part of this guide for more info.
    • You will be booting tethered quite a bit, so if you donít think you can deal with constantly connecting and rebooting, wait for an untethered or downgrade to iOS 5.0.1/4.x.

With the formalities complete, letís start the show!

How to jailbreak iOS 5.1 using Redsn0w

Step 1:
    Download

the latest version of iTunes (10.6)
    Step 2: Open up iTunes, and back up your device.
    Step 3: Upgrade your firmware to iOS 5.1. [
    download links

]
    Step 4: Download the latest version of Redsn0w (
    Windows

/
    Mac

)
    Step 5: Start Redsn0w, select "Jailbreak" then "Install Cydia". Follow the steps to place your device into DFU mode.

CU Note: If it fails to work, try right clicking the exe file and setting the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP 3 and select run as administrator. I also had the 5.1 IPSW selected in "extras". I'm guessing this makes it easier for the detection of your version.

Step 6: Now we move on to the process where you will need to repeat every time your device is switched off. This is called tethered boot. Launch Redsn0w, select "Extras", then "Just Boot" in order to boot your device tethered.

Booting Semi-Tethered (Optional)

The "SemiTether" patch may work through to 5.1. Itís a cross between tethered and untethered Ė allowing you to boot your device without a computer, but the available features are somewhat limited, so youíll need to boot tethered through Redsn0w in order to enjoy a fully-functional break. Itís free, and available over at the BigBoss repo:
    semitethered jailbreak | iPhone News, Apps, BigBoss, Guides & Jailbreaking

CU Note: Go to Cydia > manage > edit > add source (
    semitethered jailbreak | iPhone News, Apps, BigBoss, Guides & Jailbreaking

). Then select that source and you'll see SemiTether.

Note To Unlockers:

If you use the GEVEY SIM interposer or Ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone, you will need to create a custom .iPSW, in order to preserve your baseband.

In Redsn0w, select "Extras", then "Custom IPSW", locate your iOS 5.1 file, and let Redsn0w work its magic.

Then enter pwned DFU mode (Extras > Pwned DFU) and restore to your custom firmware via iTunes. After that, youíll be able to unlock with GEVEY,
    Ultrasn0w fixer

, or Ultrasn0w (when it is available).

Full video tutorial is embedded below:

You may also like to check out:

You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on
    Google+

or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the web.

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 04-13-2012 at 01:06 AM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.

my iphone just keeps getting stuck on waiting for reboot..any help please!

Overall activity: 1.0%

hello, I have an iphone 4 verizon 5.1 modem firmware 3.0.04 and ive tried doing the jailbrake for several times, and it reboots by itself what can I do thanks

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

The video is pretty detailed. I'd have to actually see what is going on and how far your get. Are you able to put it in DFU mode?
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

yes, as soon as I finish the process, red snow stays in the first bar that says I believe bootig or something like that and then the phone reboots, and it starts again like if it was turned on again, some people said it is because the the modem firmware is 3.0.04 what can I do?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

That's the same version our device is on.

What version of redsnow are you using? I might be able to check it out over Teamviewer sometime.

Customer Since
    sept 2012

anybody a quick answer please...im about to jailbreak my iphone 4 cdma..from verizon......this tuto mentions ios 5.1 but, on the phone it says on general....version 5.1.1. do this process would be property to make this work done? thanks...any body kwons Absinthe 2.0

if make the same job ? thansk ? but, my firs question is more importan so far...thanks...

Iwant to know the id carrier cricket wireless for gevey

Thread Information