Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Overall activity: 1.0%

I understand. My rom is a little buggy probably due to root/ bloat issues but its better than a brick. I will give it a go sometime. Thanks for your help. o)

2. Remove this advertisement.

You are a player and a life saver. I had somehow or other biffed my backup in CWM and it wouldn't recognize it at all when I was in the middle of testing out a new rom. I thought I was out of luck as I had searched around, tried to flash back to stock with Odin, etc... No luck. Ended up with a Metro PCS rom and no data... But your backup saved me. BIG props man. I'm unemployed and getting another phone right now no matter how cheap just isn't an option. Again, you rock.

Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by theevildead84 View Post
    You are a player and a life saver. I had somehow or other biffed my backup in CWM and it wouldn't recognize it at all when I was in the middle of testing out a new rom. I thought I was out of luck as I had searched around, tried to flash back to stock with Odin, etc... No luck. Ended up with a Metro PCS rom and no data... But your backup saved me. BIG props man. I'm unemployed and getting another phone right now no matter how cheap just isn't an option. Again, you rock.
    Glad I could be some help to you.

There almost the same but could you confirm this backup rom is from metro pcs r720 not vitality r720? Also have you had any problems with their rom for making calls 3g data etc with cri kets network? Also confirm which version thia is I'm sure they did a 2.3.6 update which if you don't have maybe you could apply.

This is for the Vitality.

How do I create a nandroid backup of the stock Cricket Samsung Vitality ROM?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro1977 View Post
    There is currently no support for the r720 in cwm in fact this is one of the reasons why people are bricking their phones. which model of phone did you select from the list of phones when installing cwm to create your nandroid backup? I presume if you haven't bricked your phone or installed cwm before you bricked it you can use cwm to recover your image listed above? Otherwise its odin, right?
    This is exactly the question I've been seeking an answer to. I would like to create an image (nandroid backup?) of my Cricket Vitality before I proceed to experiment with it. I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere online; the only answers I've been finding relate to backing up devices that have already been experimented with. How in the world would I be able to return my Vitality to its right-out-of-the-box state?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Its pretty simple m8 flash odin to your phone and put the backup on your sdcard and restore from it. There are links above for flashing odin to your phone and a link to download the nadroid backup. It wont be back to original it will be rooted with some games missing. See above for the links. If you havent bricked your phone or want a backup of your files then create a backup using cwm before flashing the stock version. Remember your phone has to be rooted to apply cwm. Let me know how you get on and also let me know if the gps works. I mean does it get a fix and then after you turn it off for a few minutes does it start up again ok or continusly look for sats and wont work for another 40 mins or until a reboot is done - this is a problem with my rom at the moment.

I have put this on my phone and is working well. i have also removed a lot more bloatware without any problems. I still have the Gps works once problem and am working on a fix.
    It is mentioned here in this link for another gingerbread model.
    Some ROMs suffer from the "GPS off-and-on" bug.
    • Those ROMs can shutdown the gpsOne engine properly when turning off GPS setting using gps_cleanup(), but they cannot restart the gpsOne engine again because gps_init() is never called when turning GPS setting on after turning it off.
    • It's a Gingerbread bug which is fixed by applying
      this commit

from the source code.
    • If you cannot modify the source code, the workaround is to set/add GPS1_CLEANUP_ENABLED=0 into gps.conf to avoid doing full cleanup.

[26.Aug.2011][Dev] GPS Libraries v2.1 with AGPS support for HD2 Gingerbread - xda-developers

Last edited by pedro1977; 05-07-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks for the information; I appreciate it. Still, I really would preferred to have known how to create an image of my phone right out of the box. Why doesn't Cricket or any of the other providers do this? They provide a reset, sure -- but what if that doesn't do the trick? Currently my phone has been reset twice and I'm still getting this stinking message constantly:

"Sorry! The application Google Services Framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." [Force close]

Since the phone has been reset and I haven't done anything with it since, the only thing I can imagine causing this is the fact that I no longer have a cellular data plan. I know that Android devices prior to 2.0 required a cellular data connection in order to go through the Google login/setup process; maybe this is some remnant of that.

You cant create an image of your phone out of the box because you dont have root access to the phone hence the need to root it. The best option at the moment is to root your phone, install superuser, flash cwm using odin and then create a nandroid backup. As im typing gps and wifi the two main things i use are not working. The interface looks the same but in the phone info looks different to my old cricket os. If you do reset your phone again (i assume you have already rooted it) and have flashed cwm using odin, if you do create a nandroid backup i certainly wouldnt mind a copy if you have a vitality as this maybe for the admire etc etc. Whatver you do make an android backup of your exisiting op before flashing the one above. Ideally we need someone with a freshly rooted phone to create a nandroid backup, something i should have done with hindsight. Maybe I can look into you app closure problem.
    Last edited by pedro1977; 05-01-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Yeah, it would've been nice to do what I've learned to do when I purchase a new PC: Immediately make an image of the drive. This is particularly important now that Dell, HP, and the like don't include recovery discs any more.

Still, I wanted to experience Cricket's version of our device before I began looking into rooting the device. I didn't want to take any chances I'd mess up the device and be unable to enjoy Muve Music for a month. (I could only afford one month of service.)

If I reset it again I'm sure I'll still be getting that

"Sorry! The application Google Services Framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

message (which forces you to close it), so if I make a nandroid backup you'll probably be getting that message, too. You still want it?

You can create clean images of pc easily as there is not rooting issue. The android situation is a nightmare, no proper recovery system, no admin account etc etc.
    Yes when you reset it next time create a nandroid backup, i will use it as a test and try and resolve your force closure issue at the same time, no guarantees though. thanks again. As i speak this still has no wifi, gps and its seaching for a service even though its in airplane mode, i wouldnt recomment this image, unless your phone is bricked.

How do I backup the current ROM? When I click Backup Current ROM in ROM Manager it prompts me to install ClockworkMod Recovery before continuing, but when I click the Install button our Samsung device is not listed.
    Last edited by Harold; 05-01-2012 at 11:14 PM.

[Odin] Clockworkmod Recovery - Not compatible with Rom Manager yet - Android Forums

Instructions are here. Do not do it the way your doing it now via the apparently. It will not work.

A little update:
    1 - If youre having force closure issues remember to go into the applications menu and delete data and cache first before rebooting (only for the offending app or apps).
    2 - If this doesnt work uninstall and reinstall the program/ updates. If its a system file see number 4 (you can uninstall/reinstall it updates).
    If this doesnt work download fix permissions from market and correct the permission for this app on its own. Reboot after doing any of the above. Do not do a complete fix permissions for the entire system as this seems to always causes me more problems than good.
    4 - If its a system file you could uninstall the entire app with nobloat/ titanium backup but only if you have no other options, make sure you backup first though. Then reinstall it.
    5 - Remeber other apps may be involved youll have to seek them out.

Last edited by pedro1977; 05-07-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro1977 View Post
    You can create clean images of pc easily as there is not rooting issue. The android situation is a nightmare, no proper recovery system, no admin account etc etc.Yes when you reset it next time create a nandroid backup, i will use it as a test and try and resolve your force closure issue at the same time, no guarantees though. thanks again. As i speak this still has no wifi, gps and its seaching for a service even though its in airplane mode, i wouldnt recomment this image, unless your phone is bricked.
    No issues with WiFi/GPS here. Had service. Calls/Text/Data. I don't really see how any of that can be messed up as this is just a rooted stock image recovery.

I can't comment on calls data etc as I'm not connected. Wifi is working though may have been a glitch or a problem with box. GPS maybe a hardware problem with my phone. starts most times on boot but if I turn it off it will not work for 40 mins. Its still better than before though. If your testing the GPS put it in airplane mode and turn off all other comms. Turn it on get a fix let it go for two mins turn it off for two mins then back on again and see if you get a fix.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information