Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Overall activity: 1.0%

5 out of 7 members liked this post.

Smile EPIC 4G Touch Cricket Full Flash With Working 3G And MMS. [CWM]

Hey Everyone it's my first post here so i figured i would make it a good one!
    I realize theres already a full flash tutorial on this phone. however it seems theres issues with mms.
    this method after the initial flash should get you fully working MMS Recv and Sending.

I've Gone Ahead And Gotten My Epic 4G Touch Flashed Over to Cricket With Working 3G And MMS.

Before i give the tutorial allow me to give a little background information about how this flash is going to work out.
    Im Going to Break this into Multiple Parts To Step It Together. Appending Will Be Done if i find i screwed something up later so please, politely inform me if your having a problem and i will try to help.

IMPORTANT!!!!! READ ME, REALLY IM SERIOUS!
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT OCCURS TO YOUR PHONE YOU SHOULD ALWAY BACKUP WHENEVER POSSIBLE TO ENSURE YOU CAN GO BACK THAT INCLUDES ROM FLASHING,QPST Settings, AND CDMA WORKSHOP! I've Duplicated my results with this method over 10 times to ensure that it will work, but you know theres always that someone that rushes things.

Step 0, because it really is...(BACK UP YOUR STUFF!!!!)
    This is not only Important, its downright smart. starting with a clean slate is a great way to make sure nothing goes wrong so if you have anything important stored on your phone. back it up now. when your done proceed to step 1.
    if you dont know how to do this. its probably easier to connect your phone to your PC, activate USB Storage, and copy and paste your entire internal memory contents to a folder on your desktop, however that brings me to our next thought. Requirements.

1GB Free Space On Computer (Obvious, but i thought i would mention it)
    1GB Free Space On Internal Storage
    OR
    1GB Free Space On External SD Card
    (Recommended as it's just nice to be able to pop and swap sd cards, plus i recommend keeping a backup of all the files you used to flash your phone on it so you can redo it if ever needed or if you accidentally mess up and need to start over.
    AND
    Free Space Equal to how much stuff you have to back up. Seriously, Do this.

Step 1- Using Odin to Restore Your Phone to a Stock EL29 Flash (Great Radio Version)
    You Will Need Your Samsung Drivers Installed. Do That, Reboot Then Continue.

In this step we will be using odin to flash your phone to a factory fresh image!
    Simply Put, in the Files You Recived And Unzipped,
    Install Them And Reboot. When All is well, Continue.
    Next, there will be a file called:
    SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097_ROOTED-OneClick.exe
    Run it with admin rights.

it will open a window that looks like this:

Attachment 2005
    Now Power Down Your Phone. Now We Are Going to Reboot it into Download Mode. This Allows Samsung Stock Flashes. This Will NOT Increase Your Binary Counter And Will Install A Stock Pre-Rooted Rom.
    To Do This Power On Your Phone While Holding the Volume Down Button, When you See This Screen Release the Buttons.
    Attachment 2006(Image is from the GSM Phone, But Its Identical On Our CDMA Models)

You Will See The Image On The Left, To Continue Press The Volume Up Key To Come To The Screen On The Right.

Now In Odin You Will See A Phone Listed In Yellow with a comport number. if you dont simply unplug the usb cable and then plug it back in. if you still dont see anything please make sure you followed the original steps in step 2 and make sure your samsung drivers are installed. Once You See Your Phone Listed As Such. Click Start. You Will Wait About 5-10 Minutes Until Your Phone Has Completely Restarted And It Shows Completed In ODIN. Once Done, Congratulations, the first part to be nervous about is over. On To Step 2 Or You Can Safely Take A Break At This Point And Come Back In 15.

Step 2-Installing CWM Recovery And The EL29 Radio
    Enable Debugging On Your Phone In The Applications Menu Before You Continue.
    Now We Are Going To Install ClockworkMod Recovery So We Can Get A Way To Not Only Backup Your Installation and Settings Later On, But Also We Can Write Better Roms That Are Tweaked For Performance And Battery Life. (Like the one we will be flashing!)
    In The Files You Unzipped You Will See A Folder Called "E4GTAuto" Open It, Scroll To The Bottom, And Run the file
    RUNFIRST.bat as Administrator, it will bring you to the following screen.
    cwminstall1.png
    Press the "c" key and hit enter. you will then be on the following screen.
    cwminstall2.png
    Press the "L" Key And Hit Enter To Continue Then Follow The Instructions On The Screen. After a couple of reboots your phone will be rooted and have a recovery image installed! go ahead and power down your phone and take another break if you need it. Next Im Going to Direct you to the Original Flash Guide, Please Make sure your phone's ESN is already on your cricket account before you continue or things arent going to work the way you want it to.

Im Going to pass things to Chrisngrod's Excellent Tutorial for the original cricket flash since it works so well and is so easy. Please open it in a new tab as you will be returning to this tutorial when you are done to get the rest of your stuff working.

Step 3-Performing The PRL, EVDO, AND NVRAM Flashes. (Talk, Text, And 1X (Possibly 3G) Data)
    Before You Flash This And Because i dont want to take credit for anyone elses work, Please Follow The Instructions For The Base Tutorial Written By Chrisngrod at: Please pay special attention to the NV item flash from whiterabbit.org as its a custom file generated for your MDN Only and i cant provide that.
    http://www.cricketusers.com/sprint-s...ernet-mms.html

This Should Get You At The Very Least Functioning Calls,Text,And Possibly 3g (it only got me 1X but thats just me, i found other tweaks that Solidified my data connection. when your finished we will move on to Step 3.

Step 4-Upgrading to Calkulin_'s_E4GT_ROM_v2.9.2 ROM (EL29 Radio+CWM Recovery)

Create a folder on your phones SD Card Called Roms Then Copy These Files To The Folder:
    Calkulin_'s_E4GT_ROM_v2.9.2.ZIP
    Calkulin's_Bare_ROM_Converter_for_E4GT_v2.0.ZIP
    Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL_for_E4GT.ZIP

Now in this step we are going to be flashing a custom rom, and setting it up for rock solid 3g and mms.
    Power Down your phone. this time we are going to reboot into recovery. do this by holding down your volume up key while powering on until you reach a text based screen with a bunch of options. first things first. touch doesnt work here. you will navigate up and down with the volume keys and your power button is the enter key.
    so go to Flash ZIP from SD Card. Navigate to the roms folder and then the file Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL_for_E4GT.ZIP
    This is going to prepare the phone for a clean rom installation when its done it will return you to the main screen. go back to select zip from sd card and navigate to your roms folder again. this time flash Calkulin_'s_E4GT_ROM_v2.9.2.ZIP Wait For it to finish. then finally. yeah you guessed it.
    flash the final file. Calkulin's_Bare_ROM_Converter_for_E4GT_v2.0.ZIP this will tweak the rom for performance and battery life. and trust me you want it.

after everything is done go ahead and select reboot from the main menu and your phone will proceed to boot into this custom rom for the first time. it will take a bit longer than usual for the first boot. you'll notice that on boot you have a 5 icon dock at the bottom. i always thought the 4 icon was weird. so its probably my favorite feature.
    Congratulations we are almost there!!!
    At this point dial *228 or *22804 and let it reactivate and reboot. you should have working 3g already at this point.
    go ahead and sign into the market we are gonna need a couple of apps.

first off we are going to need an app called APN backup and restore. we're going to use this to write our apn settings, i find it helps 3g stick as well. well at least for me it does.

second. you are going to need some sort of root file explorer. i actually bought root explorer, but if you have a free alternative that works feel free to use that.

Step 5- MMS Time
    now put your phone in USB Mode its time to copy over some more files. copy the following to your sd card in a folder called MMSFIX:
    cdmatelephony.db
    mmssms.db
    telephony.db
    mmk.apk

now copy the cdmatelephony.db, mmssms.db and telephony.db files to data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases

please back up your original files and set the permissions to rw-rw---- this will match the ones we just replaced.

now go to /system/app and back up your mms apk to your sd card
    now copy the one were replacing it with setting the permissions to rw-r--r-- matching the old one.

now reboot your phone.

now we need to install a working APN for mms to function. But first we need to edit it so that it will work with your login information. download the application notepad++ google it.
    youll see it layed out like this:
    apn-editing-cap.png
    edit the highlighted portion to reflect your phone number and hit save.

open the app we downloaded from the market called apn backup and restore. hit the backup apns button then go ahead and connect with usb storage.
    it will have created a folder on your internal storage called apn backup and restore. copy the file Cricket APN.XML we just edited and saved to that folder.
    Once this is done reopen the APN backup and restore APP. hit the delete APNs Button and then hit yes. after it finishes hit the restore apns button and select the cricket APN.xml entry and hit yes. it will take a couple seconds to install. reboot your phone once it is done.
    at this point go ahead and try sending an MMS. it should work fine. next try sending an mms to your phone from another phone. NOT from yourself to yourself. i dont really concider that an accurate test.

anyway, if your having problems theres a few tricks i've included to ensure things stay working.

1. Flash your NV items from whiterabbit.org again in CDMA Workshop 2.7 and reboot your phone. try it again.
    2. Flash the included PRL, i find it gave me much better 3g speeds anyway. flash it with CDMA WORKSTOP.
    3. Double Check your permissions on the MMS files you copied over. you can also reboot in recovery mode and go to advanced items and hit repair permissions.

After all of this everything should be working. if your still having issues give me a shout and i would be happy to help you out.

if you want to say thanks first that chrisngrod, and Calkulin and The Rest of the folks at Cricketusers and Also XDA For Having Such Wonderful Communities. I Take NO Credit For The Software Included, I Only Managed To Edit Things To Get It Working Together Properly. I will amend this post as i need to if other things need to be added.

My Next Step Will Be Converting The Phone To Look And Act Like It Was a Cricket Phone With A 2 Click ODIN Flash For Everyone!

Also If Anyway Has The Hookup On ESN Swaps. it seems im paying 15$ a week to change phones to do flashes. its killing my wallet. lol.

Enjoy! The Download is Below. WARNING its 700MB+

4shared folder - ET4G

give it a while to finish uploading. just download the zip in the folder. and extract it and your ready to go!

Im Pretty Tired, so ill make sure i didnt screw anything up real bad in the morning.

Also What Phone Should i do next? this is fun.

UPDATE: I've Toyed around with GO SMS and it works just fine with this setup. the replacement MMS.APK i provided is not only Ugly, it's not exactly what i would call feature rich so once you get mms working i highly recommend it as a replacement. these phones are so fast that you wont even notice it. and it adds so many features.

also. 53 views and no comments or feedback? i hope its because its working for you guys! lol.

Also i need to know if anyone can tell me how to manually program a voicemail access number into this phone. i'd really like to get Voicemail notifications working without an extra apk and then this would be a Completely 100% functional flash/rom.

Anyway I'll check in later to see if anyone needs help. im off to play with a couple of droid x2's i have laying around. i'll see about getting the same performance out of those.

Thanks For The Sticky!

Last edited by Rsawicki; 03-23-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Check-In

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    Epic 4G Touch

The voicemail number is set by default to your phone number. If I press and hold '1' it goes to my voicemail. I think it's something that's removed, and Sprint's VVM handles the notifications. After having crappy luck with VM notification apps from the Market, I just setup Google Voice when I had my Evo. Not sure if disabling/removing Sprint's VVM will have any effect. I always delete it when I flash a new rom just to get rid of the stupid error messages that pop up.

Also, have you messed around with the .db files? I never touch the cdmatelephony or mms .db files. The way I do it is to replace apnsconf.xml from system/etc with one from a Cricket Android phone, set the permissions, delete telephony.db and reboot. Not sure if the apnsconf.xml part is necessary but it's what I do just to be safe, and my MMS has been flawless on Gingerbread roms.

Also, this has worked for me regardless of the rom I'm using. I've used the stock rom, Calk's and a few others with the same results. I've been using the EL29 ODIN/one click root for a while now to restore my Gingerbread rom after trying ICS. I'm just saying this because it seems that it might be added steps that aren't really needed. The only thing I couldn't do with the stock rom was get autostart.sh/u2nl to work.
    Last edited by theclerk74; 03-24-2012 at 02:35 PM.

thanks for the reply. yeah the sprint VVM app sucks. i was trying to decompile it and see if i could do anything with it. id settle for just getting plain VM notifications in the status bar. ill definately keep looking, reguarding apnsconf.xml its basically what is edited when you import apns with apn backup and restore. i know i needed it to get solid mms and without it i would get stuck sending. i've also managed to get this stuff working on ICS roms. but they're all so imcomplete i feel it would kind of be a waste of time. i think we will be getting an official ics rom sonner rather than later, seeing as its one of sprints nicest phones. the telephony db does get rebuilt on reboot when deleted so it may not be neccesary, im going to be doing some testing and if i find that its really not needed i'll be pulling it from the tutorial to simplify things. the cdma telephony i provided i think i ripped from an actual cricket android samsung transfix that was running 2.3.6 so i thought if anything it would be helpful.

and just wondering autostart.u2nl is really only useful on the 45$ plan right? i wouldnt know since i pay the 55$ rate. kind of wondered about it, but i like having everything working native. it really feels like the phone came this way.

Phone
    Epic 4G Touch

Some say... (My attempt at Top Gear humor) that the info in apnsconf.xml is what the phone reads when building the telephony.db, and the apns from APN Backup and Restore get written somewhere else. Not sure where, but pretty sure it isn't apnsconf.xml.

I had MMS working in ICS too, and that is kind of why I questioned whether it is really necessary to mess with the other .db files. Using the ones from a Gingerbread rom totally screws things up, but I got MMS working without changing them.

If I have time tomorrow, I can mess with the VM notification. I noticed when I went to Settings/Call Settings and tried to select Voicemail Settings com.android.phone FC'ed. Could be because I deleted Sprint VVM. Maybe swapping out phone.apk with one from a Verizon phone and deleting the Sprint VVM apk will work?

I would love to move up to the $55 plan, but my wife is kinda weird and she would be pissed about me spending $10 a month more LOL, but yeah, that's all the autostart/u2nl is for - Getting the phones data to go through Cricket's proxy.

Overall activity: 0%

Thanks for the great tutorial! I already had talk,text, and 3g working but haven't been able to get mms working. My one question is, do I have to have Calkulin's rom or can I have Blazer installed to have mms working?

Warpig5, Im pretty sure this will work with any rom granted a few annoyances with ics roms, i just liked caluklins rom since it got rid of alot of bloat and optimized battery life, i myself have even moved on to testing ics leaks so i can write a new tutorial when a solid ics rom drops. So feel free to experiment its pretty hard to brick this phone with having the odin restore and all. Im also looking into cooking my own rom and customizing it from the ground up for cricket. Should be doable but im still learning a few things, its been a while since i have done anything programming related to an android device. I also want to look into flashing a galaxy tab to cricket on a data line i dunno. So many projects so little time.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

I was looking into kind of trying to pull the telephony related objects off of my transfix running 2.3.6 to see if it would help with the voicemail issues
    I have a sneaking suspicion however that it will require more than that, also ive been pre occupied seting up my wifes droid x2. I have to setup the whole u2nl/autostart thing cause even though its a new line in its free month cricket wanted another 10 to switch it to 55$ plan. Lol thats another thread however.[COLOR="Silver"]
    Last edited by Rsawicki; 03-25-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: oops

OP thanks a lot for the great tutorial....Calkulin_'s 2.9.2 is really good. Battery life is off the charts. Will try the MMS fix soon and post back...
    Last edited by sud123; 03-25-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsawicki View Post
    I was looking into kind of trying to pull the telephony related objects off of my transfix running 2.3.6 to see if it would help with the voicemail issues
    I have a sneaking suspicion however that it will require more than that, also ive been pre occupied seting up my wifes droid x2. I have to setup the whole u2nl/autostart thing cause even though its a new line in its free month cricket wanted another 10 to switch it to 55$ plan. Lol thats another thread however.[COLOR="Silver"]
    Have you tried using The greenk45 app to get internet and market working?

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Also how have you gotten internet working on ICS roms? I get the 3g icon up top but never any connection. And greenk45 doesn't work it just hangs on the enabling screen.

Phone
    Epic 4G Touch

It works on ICS but it's been flaky for me... Try downloading Busybox installer from the Market. I think that it needs that to work. I've tried a couple of others, but search for Proxy in the market. Thing is, the ones I tried were not perfect either, having to manually switch to use wifi or MMS.
    Last edited by theclerk74; 03-26-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Overall activity: 3.0%
    Phone
    HTC Evo LTE

Thank you for this. Very well written.

Send from my Galaxy SII Epic Touch

Quote Originally Posted by theclerk74 View Post
    It works on ICS but it's been flaky for me... Try downloading Busybox installer from the Market. I think that it needs that to work. I've tried a couple of others, but search for Proxy in the market. Thing is, the ones I tried were not perfect either, having to manually switch to use wifi or MMS.
    I've tried busybox installer and installed all the different versions that were available but none seemed to work. The only one I got internet working on was Blend ICS but that had too many bugs for me. I'm currently trying out the Codename ICS rom and it's really great and I'd like to get 3g working on this.

Hey everyone just thought I'd let you all know I haven't forgotten about you. I've been toying with other roms and I'm happy to say I have both cyanogenmod 7 and miui.us working with solid 3g and mms both incoming and outgoing! Ill be writing tutorials for these Roms and posting them in the next few days so stay tuned to the forum after those I'm onto cm9 and possibly ill start toying with the Samsung ice leaks to prepare for the real thing.I want us all to have the same options as the folks who have the sprint Roms. Anyway I'm currently testing miui.us tonight and tomorrow ill be testing
    cm7 hoping to write and upload tomorrow. Till then keep those phones ready for a flash.[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 03:04 AM -------

Overall activity: 3.0%
    Phone
    HTC Evo LTE

Wow thank you. I tried cm9 but was unable to get internet working. Really looking forward to your new tutorial.

Send from my Galaxy SII Epic Touch

Just wanna say thanks for your tutorial everything works even mms.
    Last edited by kingzeus; 03-28-2012 at 12:00 PM.

No problem. Just thought I should share the wealth. I've finished testing miui.us everything seems to be working for the most part
    I just need to pack in an Eri.XML edit so I can get rid of the sprint banner then ill test out cm7, then with any luck I can get us a cm9
    That doesn't have too many bugs, and there will be bugs. Lol.
    Anyway ill be backing up a bit and fixing a few more errors I found with the original tutorial as well. Along with the eri edit so
    it actually says cricket instead of sprint. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Last edited by Rsawicki; 03-28-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information